Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Great Santa Run ~ 12/5/15







On 12-5-15, me and my boys participated in The Las Vegas Great Santa Run. It was held in Downtown Las Vegas/Fremont Street. I had picked our packets up the night before so we were able to arrive already dressed. Instead of a shirt, we received a full Santa costume. 


The race was scheduled to start at 10:00 AM so we arrived at 9:15 AM. That gave us enough time to find a free parking spot in the neighboring residential area and walk to the pre-race party.


The before show included singing from the cast of "Jersey Boys" and dancing from Chippendales. We were too far back to see anything but we could hear the music. 


After the pre-race entertainment, they marched us to the start line which was a few blocks away. The race ended up starting about 15 minutes late. 


They sang the National Anthem and then had a 10 second countdown. At zero, confetti was shot into the air and a small wave of wheelchair athletes were allowed to begin. They were given a few minute head start. 


They then had another 10 second countdown for the 5K runners/walkers. At this confetti cannon the crowd began to slowly move forward. 


It took us another few minutes to finally cross the start line. The boys were running the 5K while I was walking it. So once we started, I lost sight of them. Since we are all dressed alike, there was no way of telling them apart. 


The course is a nice flat, paved course that made it's way around downtown Las Vegas. It starts by going south on the famous Las Vegas Boulevard. It even passes the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop, made famous by the television show Pawn Stars. There was a water aid station at the 1.55 mile mark. They handed out bottled water which was nice because it allowed me to drink it for the remainder of the race. 


I crossed the finish line in 51:27. I was pleased with that time since I had to walk the entire thing. I received my medal and then found my boys at the predetermined meeting spot. The boys both had great races and were excited to receive medals. 


This was a very fun race! It is my second year participating in it. I hope to be able to run it again next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment