Tuesday, January 13, 2015

This Girl Can


I love this video! It started making the rounds on social media yesterday and immediately spoke to millions of women. They described their video as "This Girl Can celebrates the women who are doing their thing no matter how they do it, how they look or even how sweaty they get. They’re here to inspire us to wiggle, jiggle, move and prove that judgement is a barrier that can be overcome."

Several years ago, when I was just beginning to run, I told my husband that I was embarrassed to be seen running. I just knew that people were looking at me and wondering what I was doing out there. I was fat and slow and probably looked like I was going to die. He told me that no serious runner or person that works out was going to say anything but positive reinforcement. Everyone has to start somewhere and very few people look perfect at the beginning. I took his words to heart, even if I wasn't sure I believed him. 

Now, as someone who has been seriously working out since February 2012, I know what he was talking about. I never look at someone and think anything but positive thoughts. If I'm at a race and see someone who looks like they are struggling, I always cheer for them and give them encouraging words. I'm so proud to see people out there trying to better themselves, no matter what state of fitness they are currently at. Heck, there are still many times that I'm at the back of the pack and I still love hearing people cheer me on. 

Because we all get it. You don't have to be a super star athlete to want to challenge yourself. You don't have to be racing for gold to want to better yourself. Some people do it to get in shape. Some people do it as a stress reliever. Some people do it for socialization. We all have our reasons. We should not let our self-consciousness hold us back. I still wiggle and jiggle when I swim, bike, and run. I am proud of what this chubby body can do. This video epitomizes what we as women should think about ourselves because this girl can!




No comments:

Post a Comment